Thursday 15 November 2012

Suburban Safari


Confession time. I’m wild about animals. Always have been. Maybe it’s because I never had a pet growing up because my parents believed that animals only belong on farms or zoos or places of that nature. Or maybe it’s because I early on discovered the charm and beauty that is the animal kingdom.  I even talk to them, much to the chagrin of those with me. Anyways one of my favorite activities has always been visiting animals no matter what setting.

Berlin Zoo and Aquarium is of course no exception and is truly awesome. At nearly 170 years, it is one of the oldest zoos in the world and with more than 1,500 different species, is thought to be the world’s most diverse. They have it all from aardvarks and anacondas to zebus and zenaidas and most everything in between. Including insects. Yes, they have an insectarium. EEK! That’s the only part of the zoo I haven’t been through. Or will ever go to….again. I saw the first window, once (cockroaches), and that’s it. Erwin had to keep me from collapsing into a shrieking quivering heap. My favorite...hard to pick, but I'm partial to cats...from wee kittens born in my house to lordly lions with a roar that can be heard throughout the zoo and outside it's gates.

My first visit ever to this zoo was back in 2002 and now 10 years later each return visit still is as wonderful as the first. It’s my happy place.When we arrived in Berlin in September of this year one of the first things I did was purchase an annual admission. It’s already paid for itself.  When my head gets too full of all the artsy cultural stuff and my brain needs to breathe, I spend a day at the zoo. 

Here, set to music of course, are some of the images I've taken over the last couple of months.








No comments:

Post a Comment